Sunday, November 18, 2012

Radically Natural Recipe: Coconut Macaroons

I have always loved coconut macaroons...bite-size, chewy, golden balls of vanilla coconut goodness.  In past years, when suffering through bouts of "I'm too sick/exhausted/busy to bake," I would purchase and enjoy Jennie's Macaroons.  The original recipe was simple and healthy.  In recent years, however, I noticed that the company changed its recipe, adding cane sugar in addition to honey.  Because I don't want to feed my children cane sugar (it's not as healthy as honey), and because we have been doing GAPS anyway, I decided to finally conquer the healthy minimal-ingredient macaroon.  After a few disappointing iterations, I think I finally succeeded with a macaroon whose flavor, texture and nutrient profile is pleasing (the trick is using the blender).  I hope you enjoy them as well!


Nourishing (GAPS-friendly) Coconut Macaroons
6 egg whites
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt (I like pink himalayan)
1/3+ cup raw honey (may need a smidgen more "to taste" depending on strength of honey and coconut)
1 Tb. vanilla extract (make your own with vanilla beans and vodka...recipe coming soon...so easy!)
3 cups raw organic coconut flakes
  • In blender (food processor might work as well), blend the coconut until it is very fine, even "buttery."  This step alleviates the "crumble apart" texture of the finished cookies.
  • Add honey, vanilla, salt to coconut and blend.
  • Beat (in mixer or by hand) egg whites to stiff peak stage.
  • Fold coconut mixture into egg whites.
  • Place batter by small spoonful sizes (I use a small cookie scoop) onto lined baking sheet (I use a Silpat liner).
  • Bake for 30-40 minutes at 300 degrees...until cookies are golden, or very lightly browned.  I stop at dark gold because I like the chewy texture.  The beginning of light browning will give a crispier outer texture.
Experiment with the amount of coconut blending and the amount of baking time to determine your favorite cookie texture.